Thursday, September 17, 2009

Hebel Thermo Layer

Once the concrete slab was dry I laid another course of bricks which is the last, this will contain the Hebel layer.
As you can see below I simply cut the hebel to fit with an angle grinder, you could do it with a saw but this was quicker although VERY dusty so wear your mask, glasses, gloves AND ear gear, I would also suggest wearing a hat as my hair was full of dust at the end.
I glued the hebel together for extra strenght, its a special mix for hebel. the hebel is the same hieght as a brick so that left me with a small gap to the top brick because of the brick mortar height, this I filled with a thin layer of sand to make it perfectly level. below you can just see the ash dump hole, it looks small compared to ones I have seen but it wouldn't take much effort to make it bigger in the future as it is positioned at the oven door. At this stage i'm thinking Ash is Ash and small !
Next week we can start the dome.